Marijuana or Cannabis sativa is a commonly used illicit drug which is a mixture of shredded brown, gray or green leaves, seeds and flowers of the said hemp plant. Studies showed that this drug serves as a precursor to the abuse of other drugs including cocaine. This is frequently used by teenagers.
Street names of Marijuana
Marijuana is called in different names including pot, herb, grass, Mary Jane reefer, weed, boom, gangster, skunk, chronic, kif, and ganja. Other names include Hash Oil and Refer.
How is Marijuana administered?
The drug is taken by smoking, mixing with food or it is brewed as tea.
Effects of marijuana consumption
When marijuana enters the system it begins series of cellular reaction in the brain that results to the following effects:
- Feeling of “high” or intensified pleasure/mild euphoria
- Alteration in concentration, time and sensory perception and muscle coordination
- Poor memory
Impact on the mind/body and health risks
Marijuana users may experience any or all of the following symptoms:
- Unclear perceptions
- Impaired memory and motor control
- Decreased personal hygiene
- Impaired muscle coordination
- Difficulty in concentration
- Forgetfulness/ Short-term memory impairments
- Poor judgment
- Arrhythmias and palpitations
- Cough with phlegm
- Acute chest illness
- Lung infections
- Low sperm count(males)
- Irregular menstruation (females)
Signs of Marijuana abuse
Chronic use of Marijuana may result to the following signs of addiction:
- Compulsive drug seeking
- Persistent abuse despite known harmful effects to constructive activities involving family relations, work or school performance and pursuit of leisure activities
- Withdrawal symptoms
Common Marijuana treatment options
The most commonly used interventions by drug treatment facilities are the 12-step programs, drug detoxification and Cognitive Behavioral Therapy.
Marijuana withdrawal/detox symptoms
Once a long-term marijuana user tries to quit, withdrawal symptoms may occur within 24 hours after abstinence. The peak of withdrawal symptoms may be experienced from 48 to 72 hours since last use.
The following are the withdrawal symptoms of marijuana:
- Decreased appetite
- Drug craving